Website Woodlands Garden
An Urban Preserve, 7.1 Acres of Natural Piedmont Forest thriving in the City of Decatur, just six miles east of Atlanta
As a small nonprofit organization, Woodlands Garden’s mission is to preserve a woodland
garden as an urban sanctuary to educate and engage the community in the natural world. By
building on a generous gift from the family of Chet and Gene Morse, Woodlands provides
respite from urban bustle in Decatur, GA, inviting visitors to appreciate its cultivated and
natural beauty. This 8-acre native garden includes a Georgia piedmont native garden and the
Morse family heritage garden. Learn more at woodlandsgarden.org.
This hands-on maintenance position performs a variety of manual labor jobs with varying
degrees of skill needed to assist with the maintenance of garden grounds, equipment, and
Major Duties/Specific Tasks
● Perform various landscape maintenance to include weeding, mulching, pruning,
edging and watering.
● Establish plant beds, plant perennials, shrubs, trees, and maintain planted areas.
● Perform trail maintenance to include wood chip spreading, trail lining, and leaf
● Operate small engine equipment such as chipper/shredder, backpack blower, lawn
mower and line trimmers.
● Perform and keep records of routine maintenance/repair of equipment to include
changing oil, oil filters, replacing worn parts, sharpening worn blades,and making
minor mechanical adjustments.
● Prepare and load equipment & tools for use and/or to transport.
● Assist in maintenance of electric golf cart.
● Maintain multi zone Hunter irrigation system and Grundos well and irrigation system.
● Perform manual labor and related work as required.
● Assist with contractor management and correspondance.
● Research necessary purchases relevant to upcoming projects.
● Pick up litter and debris.
● Perform other seasonal maintenance such as outdoor furniture and fixture repairs.
● Clean & organize maintenance areas.
● Attend and participate in staff meetings and in-service training.
● Report unsafe conditions to Garden Staff.
● Carry out additional duties as assigned by the Garden Staff
● Must be age 18 or over.
● High school diploma with minimum of one year experience in park maintenance
work, or any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience.
● Mechanical aptitude with ability to make minor repairs on equipment.
● Knowledge of garden maintenance procedures and equipment.
● Ability to operate small engine equipment properly and safely.
● Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with the public.
● Ability to learn the operation of the facility.
● Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting,
stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions.
● Ability to perform heavy manual labor in a variety of weather conditions.
● Availability to work a variable work schedule, which may include early hours and one
or more weekend days a month.
● Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
● Interest in expanding professional knowledge through training.
● Possession of or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license, must maintain a safe driving
We are seeking a Horticulture Technician who is interested in hands-on horticulture and
botanical garden operations. Ability to lift 30 lbs. and willingness to work in adverse weather
conditions are needed.
This position is intended for those with an existing knowledge of routine garden maintenance
and interest in furthering this skillset. Characteristics of Horticulture Technician may include:
good listener, attention to detail, willingness to learn, and excitement to collaborate with
others. Priority will be placed on applicants with experience working in a greenspace or
Start Date: Fall/Winter 2023
Location: Woodlands Garden, 932 Scott Boulevard, Decatur, GA 30030
Compensation: Pay depends on experience
Work schedule: 15-20 hours a week, to be arranged with staff
To apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Julia Bryant, Garden Manager
To apply for this job email your details to Julia@woodlandsgarden.org