Certifications improve your personal marketability and delivery of professional excellence. There are many certification programs for green industry professionals.
- This program is designed for managers and technicians in both the landscape installation and maintenance businesses. It is a self-study course with both written and hands-on examinations. The program is administered through the UGA Center for Urban Agriculture and cost $165 for all materials and exams. 15 hours of CEUs are required every three years to maintain certification. 770-233-6107
- This program is designed for professionals employed in the retail garden center industry. It is a self study course with a written exam and an extensive plant identification exam. The program is administered through the UGA Center for Urban Agriculture and cost $165 for all materials and exams. 770-233-6107
- A “Private” Pesticide applicator license is required if you apply restricted pesticides to your property or your employer’s property. This is the license commonly needed for Nurseries, Farms, Forestry, and Sod Production. 3 hours of CEUs are required every 5 years to remain certified. Private pesticide licenses may be obtained free of charge by attending training at your local County Extension Office.
- A “Commercial” pesticide applicator license is required if you apply any pesticide to a property for a fee. The most common category of commercial license for our industry is the Ornamental and Turf license (Cat. 24). The Category 24 license cost $25 for the exam and requires 10 hours of CEUs every 5 years. 404-656-4958 Study materials and exam registration may be found here http://www.gapestexam.com
- If you are involved with moving soil with a trencher, a front-end loader, an excavator or a shovel in Georgia, then you need erosion and sediment control certification. The rule requires that one certified person be present on each disturbed site during soil moving activities.
- There are six areas of national certification available from the Irrigation Association. Cost varies by category (approx. $275). 10 CEUs are required annually to remain certified. 703-536-7080
- This certification is for persons involved in professional tree care. There are five levels of certification offered by the International Society of Arborist (ISA). Cost approximately $225. 30 CEUs are required every three years to remain certified. 217-355-9411
- PLANET was created on January 1, 2005 when the Associated Landscape Contractors of America (ALCA) and the Professional Lawn Care Association of America (PLCAA) merged. Seven levels of PLANET certification exists . The Landscape Professional exams cost $300 plus study manuals. Annual renewal fee is $25 and 12 CEUs a year are required to maintain certification. 800-395-2522
- This national certificate program is administered by the Sports Turf Managers Association. To qualify to take the exam you must have 40 education/experience points, $350 application fee and $100 testing fee. 3 CEUs and 9 industry service points are needed every 3 years to remain certified. 1-800-323-3875
- For this certificate, you must first meet eligibility requirements including years of experience and level of post secondary education. Then you will need to pay a $200 application fee, submit a portfolio, have your golf facility attested and successfully complete the exam. 1-800-472-7878
- This is a self-study certificate course offered by the UGA Center for Continuing Education developed by Drs. Karnok, Landry, McCarty and Murphy. The cost of the program is $379.
For more information, contact:
UGA Center for Urban Agriculture
1109 Experiment St.
Griffin, GA 30223