UAC Georgia Sod & Landscape Field Day is held in odd-numbered years at a Georgia sod farm, rain or shine. The event attracts sod and turf producers and their customers alike for industry updates and equipment demos. Exhibit booths, sponsorships, and display advertising are available for this event.
November 2-3, 2021 - These two events will be held TOGETHER, same time, same place, in Tifton, GA
74th annual SE Turfgrass Conference - UGA Tifton Campus Conference Center
UAC Sod/Landscape Field Day & exhibitor tradeshow - Superior Turf Bellflower Farms in Tifton
- Tuesday 11/2 - Tours and dinner
- Wednesday 11/3 - Educational conference, lunch, Field Day and demos
UAC Member: $90 in advance, $115 at door
Non-Member: $110 in advance, $135 at door
Students: $25 (in advance and at door)
UGA CAES and Educators: $25 (in advance and at door)
Schedule and session descriptions
Tuesday, November 2
- 4:00 pm: Field tour, putting green cultivar development | Dean Nick Place, Brian Schwartz & turfgrass breeding team
Discussion will include: the interaction of 2 fungicide and 2 fertilizer application programs on zoysiagrass putting green surfaces; the interaction of 2 trinexapac-ethyl growth regulator and 2 fertilizer programs on a 12-TG-101 bermudagrass putting green; the precise application of herbicides and fungicides using GPS-guided sprayers; and the application of pesticides using unmanned aerial systems.
- 5:00 pm: Closing and directions to Black Shank Pavilion
- 5:30 pm: Networking & social hour and dinner | Sponsored by The Turfgrass Group
Wednesday, November 3
UGA Tifton Campus Conference Center, Tifton GA
SE Turfgrass educational conference
GA Pesticide and GGCSA credits applied for
- 7:30 am: Registration and breakfast l Sponsored by Georgia Seed Development
- 8:00 am: Introduction & welcome l Mike Toews, Assistant Dean, UGA Tifton & Brian Schwartz, Associate Professor, UGA Dept of Crop & Soil Sciences
- 8:10 am: State of the Turfgrass Industry l Billy Skaggs, Certification Program Manager, Georgia Crop Improvement Association
- An update on Georgia’s vibrant sod industry including trends, plans for expansion, and varieties in production. The benefits and requirements of certified turfgrass production also will be highlighted.
- 8:35 am: Winning Water Battles is Good…but the War is far from Over |Bryan Tolar, Tolar Capitol Partners|
- A look back at water conservation measures that were tough to accept, but played well into water policy planning. Now we must look further ahead as water demands are growing, even as per capita use is shrinking. Outdoor water use is the first place conservation groups look to cut. Conservation must be part of our culture.
- 9:00 am: The Economic State and Considerations for the GA Turfgrass Industry | Ben Campbell, Associate Professor, UGA Dept of Agricultural and Applied Economics
- This session will focus on the economic state of the GA Turfgrass Industry with respect to its economic impact to the state and region. Further discussion will revolve around business items that firms should be thinking about such as pricing, input costs, and economic considerations.
- 9:35 am: Know the Facts - Guest Worker Program Updates H2A & H2B | Arnulfo Hinojosa, FEWA
- Temporary H-2A and H-2B guest workers ar a labor resource that has become critical to the operation of many seasonal businesses. Knowing the facts is the first step in securing a reliable, legally compliant workforce.
- 9:50 am: Break l Sponsored by University of Georgia Innovation Gateway
10 - 11:15 am: Breakout Session for Sod Producers only:
- 10:00 am: Annual UGA Sod Survey Information l Clint Waltz, UGA Extension Specialist, Turfgrass
- 10:15 am - 11:15 am: U.S. Sod Checkoff Initiative, Bring Grass to Life l Casey Reynolds, Turfgrass Producers International
- The U.S. Sod Production industry will be voting soon on a proposed USDA Research and Promotion Program, aka “checkoff.” Join us to learn more about how a checkoff program can help the natural grass industry promote our products, protect and grow the market, fund research, and meet the many challenges on our horizon.
10 - 11:15 am: Educational Sessions for all non-sod producer attendees:
- 10:00 am: Problem Weed Control in Turfgrass l Patrick McCullough, UGA Dept of Crop & Soil Sciences
- Description: This presentation will focus on management strategies for kyllinga, goosegrass, and annual bluegrass. We will cover our research on the growth, ecology, and control of these weeds in turfgrass. Herbicide selection, rotation, and resistance management also will be discussed.
- 10:25 am: Grow Your Green, Strategies for a Successful Landscaping Business l Rob Martin, UGA Small Business Development Center
- UGA Small Business Development Center Area Director, Rob Martin, will discuss primary differentiators of a successful landscape service firm and an unsuccessful one. He will share strategies on Marketing, Accounts Receivable Management and Planning for the slower times in your business. Also discussed will be the latest trends and risk in the industry.
- 10:50 am: Options & Considerations for Organic Turfgrass Management l Clint Waltz, UGA Extension Specialist, Turfgrass
- Interest in organic turfgrass management remains high but product options and supportive research is limited. Research results from recent studies of organic fertility, weed, and disease control will be evaluated as possible options for landscape management practices.
- 11:15 am: Closing, directions, depart for Field Day at Superior Turf Bellflower Farms
Field Day @ Superior Turf Bellflower Farms, Tifton GA
- Noon- 1:30 pm: Exhibitor tradeshow and interaction with vendors
- 12:30 pm: Lunch at the Farm - Sponsored by Georgia Crop Improvement and ABAC
- 1:30 pm: Field demonstrations
Vendors from several companies will have farm-scale and smaller, commercial lawn care operator-scale demonstrations of the calibration and application of many sprayers.
- 3:30 pm: Adjourn
Tradeshow and Demo Exhibitors:
FEWA - Federation of Employees & Workers of America
Hampton Inn: $145 plus taxes (includes breakfast) - 720 US Highway 319S, Tifton, GA 31794 Click here to book directly or call 229-382-8800 and ask for "UAC Sod/Landscape Field Day" block. Reservations must be made by October 19, 2021.
Holiday Inn Express: $114 plus taxes (includes breakfast), 814 7th St W, Tifton, GA 31794. Call (229) 382-3300 and ask for "UAC Sod/Landscape Field Day" block. Reservations must be made by October 19, 2021.
La Quinta Inn & Suites: $109 plus taxes (includes breakfast), 1215 US-82 West, Tifton, GA 31793. Call (229) 382-8500 and ask for "UAC Sod/Landscape Field Day" block. Reservations must be made by October 19, 2021.
Hilton Garden Inn: $149 plus taxes (does not include breakfast) 201 Boo Drive. Tiffton, GA 31793. Click here to book directly or call (229-382-8484) and ask for "UAC Sod/Landscape Field Day" block. Reservations must be made by October 12, 2021.
Book under: "UAC Sod/Landscape Field Day" block.